Wednesday, November 29, 2006

"Krafting" in Montana (AKA reason 2002392938 why New York is BETTER than Montana)

So, yesterday was a rather slow, enjoyable day. Lots of crafty ladies over here at N.E.W. but it's all very "Kountry Kraft Korner" here, which makes it hard for me, being the ivy-league educated "hip" twenty-something that I am. Hard to listen to Big Butch Lesbian Lady talk about how HORRIBLY overpriced the local yarn store is and extolling the virtues of the "Pound of Love" yarn you can buy at Walmart on sale at this one certain time of year. Ugh. Expand your horizons and realize that sometimes yarn is expensive because it is nice.

Don't misunderstand- I don't see anything wrong with shopping for cheap acrylic yarn at walmart- I think that cheap acrylic yarn has its place in the world, but talking down about the Local Yarn Store Owner because her stuff is "overpriced" is just close-minded, in my thinking. On top of all that, I haven't seen anything remotely "nice" from any of the ladies around here, unless you like garbage bag holders and novelty yarn scarves, but nothing that is remotely "hip" or even traditional- its all tacky "krafts." It's very uninspiring- I miss being around craftspeople who made things other than fun fur flip flops and furry scarves.

Seriously people, there's a whole other world out there, one where plastic canvas is recongized for the tacky travesty it is and where there are yarns beyond Red Heart Super Saver and Caron Simply Soft. There is a world of traditional knitting, lace and fair isle and loveliness, a world where legwarmers and armwarmers are made from deliciously soft merino wool hand-dyed by people just like you and me. There's a world where socks are like butter on your feet. There's a world where super-detailed counted cross stitch patterns look all the world like stitched paintings of landscapes and animals, a world devoid of cute little teddy bears and tacky 'homemade' looking things. A world where cabled sweaters are made by people and not bought at Old Navy.

Am I snobby for feeling this way? I don't really feel that I'm being snobby but for gods sake people there's more to the world than garter stitch fuzzy scarves and those stupid no-sew fleece blankets! Dammit! Yarn doesn't have to be made out of plastic!

And for god sakes Montana, there is a world where cheddar cheese is not dark orange.

I can't wait to go back to New York. Until then I'll have to comfort myself by looking at gorgeous pictures of pretty knitted things on

1 comment:

Kel said...

LOL! No, you are NOT being snobby! Or if so, rightfully so! I'm in the same boat here, where there are shelves and shelves of eyelash yarn (for crochet leis) and all the good stuff must be bought online (no petting allowed!) I'm enjoying your blog: You have a magnificently poignant and humorous style.