Yarn: Opal Handpaint (in a pretty dark grey color I got from a swap on knitswap)
Needles: KnitPicks Classic Circs US1
Pattern: Moccasin Socks from Knitter's Almanac & Knitting Around
Notes: With these socks you have to kind of trust the pattern because you don't see right away how it's going to happen, but they turned out really good. Except for the bottom of the foot. There are these "bumps" which EZ does mention in the pattern, saying they can be steam ironed away. I don't know if that's going to help me, as they're quite pronounced and I think I could have used another few decreases before ending the sock. I got a comment on the Zimmermaniacs blog from someone claiming to be Meg Swansen (if its really her I'm totally starstruck) mentioning 3 segment shaping every half inch which I think will work a bit better.
You can see the bottom of foot bumps. Looking back I think some decreases before the last row would have been prudent, but when I need to re-foot these I can work on that problem, in the meantime, I'm working on another pair for myself in Elann Peruvian Highland Wool so I'll experiment with those too.
The pointed heel. You can see that my fiance has very strange ankles so ignore the weirdness, but the heel is there.
I also really loved the pointed heel (seen in the last photo). It looks really pretty and fits my fiance much better than the normal heels I do for him, so if I can figure out the bumpy thing on the bottom of the socks I'll be making these almost exclusively for him. I will definitely be doing ribbed socks for him exclusively from now on, as well, because it helps a lot with his high arches and big heels. I can make the ribbing so that it's much bigger when stretched out and it'll go over his heel, but then pull in when he puts it on. I've had SOO many problems sizing his feet until I realized it was his high arches that were causing my woes.
As a note- there were definitely some holes when I picked up stitches (You can see some in the heel photo) but to fix those I just went through and tightened the row- starting at the hole, you pull the leg of the stitch till it tightens up, then you go sideways, pulling leg after leg of the stitch until the 'looseness' spreads itself over several stitches. Worked really well.
Also, I can tell from the writing that EZ thinks a lot of the toe she does on these socks and she's right- it looks really nice.