Sunday, June 11, 2006

Boys and stupid foodness

I'm raging mad at my fiance right now. I just made taco salad like I learned from Milan at school (basically its bagged salad, taco meat, crushed up chips, cheese, and thousand islands salad dressing). He came in when I was putting on a second squirt of Thousand Islands and flipped out. Basically, decided he didn't want any. I am so fucking angry with him right now. I made dinner. I MADE FUCKING DINNER, and he wouldn't even give it a chance. Fine. Whatever. Stupid fucker. He's like a child, honestly. If you tell him what is IN something he'll flip out and he won't eat it. Besides, it isn't like the salad is DRENCHED in the dressing. Not even close. You don't even know it's there unless you look and see it. It just adds a little tang to it- it's not like I fucking drenched it in Blue Cheese dressing. Fine, whatever, I'll eat the whole fucking thing myself.

He did this to me the other day, too. I made him some butterbeer (cream soda with a shot of butterscotch schnaaps), and offered it to him. Realizing it was alcoholic because he is smart, he immediately refused. But see, the thing is- you don't taste the alcohol in butterbeer at all. It's not that he's morally opposed to alcohol- he just doesn't, in general, like the taste. The only thing is, any time I pass him a drink that doesn't taste of alcohol, he refuses, and every time I push him a drink that does, he takes it. WTF. There is something to be said here about girly vs. manly drinks, but I don't even feel like going there. I just know that's his subconscious problem, though. I offer him a sip of a Strawberry Daquiri that you can barely taste the rum in, and he refuses, but I give him Rum and Coke and that's OK. Maybe I should make him drink a virgin daquiri sometime and prove to him that he's crazy. If I can get him to even take a sip, that is.

ANYWAY, I did eventually get him to taste the butterbeer, and, of course, he could 'taste' the alcohol. My guess? He was looking for it, the butterbeer didn't taste like plain cream soda, so he assumed that the BUTTERSCOTCH flavoring that he was tasting must be the alcohol.

*sighs*

Did I mention his asparagus/zuchinni thing? We were talking about his dislike of vegetables on the phone one day, and he mentioned that in Kindergarten they made him eat some "zuchinni" only when he described it, he wasn't describing zuchinni- he was talking about asparagus. I pointed this out, and he was a little confused, but he said "Oh whatever, I hate asparagus then!"

Only thing? I have served him asparagus several times. Sure, it was cut up in stir fry, but he ate it and he obviously didn't hate it. When I mentioned this he said "But you didn't tell me it was zuchinni!"

I'm so fucking sick of this. This is honestly a pet peeve- people who concentrate too much on the name and image they have of certain things rather than just eating it and deciding whether or not they like it. I hate how people are influenced by tv images. And it's so subjective I can never proove anything, but I bet that at least 80% of people's dislikes are based not on experience, but on how something was portrayed on tv. Take Brussels Sprouts- the famous, hated vegetable- how many people who claim to hate brussels sprouts have even eaten them? How many of them simply won't try them just because every kid on TV hates them? How many people just worked themselves up so much before trying them that they hate them? I won't deny that there are people who hate them- I am sure there are, just as I don't like spicy foods, thai food, or a number of other things- but I have tried all those things with an open mind. I truly don't like them.

*sigH*

No comments: