Sunday, April 02, 2006

Handspun Revolution

So, I don't know if I mentioned it before, but on a whim a couple weeks ago I went ahead and bought Handspun Revolution off Amazon, because I felt like getting a new book and I had the cash lying around. It came in the mail yesterday.

All I can say is.. uh... wow. SO not worth the $40 retail price. I know a lot of this high price is because it's 'vanity press' publishing, so it's not coming from a huge publisher, it's not going to sell a lot, etc etc etc, but the book is seriously the size of a trade paperback and it only has 63 pages. I gotta say.. not impressive. The techniques in the book are great, don't get me wrong; the content is good. It's just not worth $40.

Then again, that's what I've found in general of Pluckyfluff. I'm not knocking her, I swear, but the prices are just too high, even though they are likely reasonable with the amount of time she must spend on things.... But it's just too much to pay for so little yarn. Yarn that really isn't made to be knit up anyway. It's fun to look at, and I can't beat her great photography skills... But for me, it just isn't reasonable. It looks cool, but I would probably never knit with it and... just.... ugh.

All in all I'm really disappointed overall, but very grateful that amazon only charged me $27 for the book. Definitely not something I would buy for $40.

On top of that, people who sell handspun yarn are always saying "Oh, there is enough for a scarf here" or something to that effect, when really, there isn't. Maybe enough for a scarflette, but not a scarf. Ugh.

No comments: